Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Evolution of Glory Days


As a youth, I was a pretty fast runner. I can still remember my best times for the events I participated in and even though they will mean nothing to you, I will reveal them (imagine Napolean Dynamite's uncle who talked about how he could throw the football a "quarter" mile) I was a sprinter and a jumper (triple and long). My best time in the 100m was 12.4 and in the 200m was 26.2. For a white girl in Houston, that wasn't too shabby. The sad thing is, that type of ability does nothing for me now except let me kick some serious booty against depressed children who have just lost a race to the one person who should let them win. Plus, even when I sprint now, I feel sick and wet my pants a little bit. I love a good race, but I don't enjoy running any longer than about 100m. I don't like jogging, but I so wish that I did. I have always wanted to be the kind of girl who runs marathons, but I have no desire to run one.
After that little fitness competition we did a couple of months ago (by the way, I lost 8 lbs, yeah!!!), I learned to enjoy riding a stationary bike. I NEVER thought I would enjoy this. Since then, I have loved going out on my mountain bike. I decided that I wanted to get a road bike because I can actually enjoy something, get somewhere and stay fit all at the same time! This is my sweet new set of wheels and I am in love with it. I have to learn how to get my shoes out of the pedals so I don't fall over at stoplights, but I am super excited to get started. I will let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Unknown April 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM  

Nice wheels, have you taken it on any jumps yet? I bet you could get some sweet air. I really like riding my bike, but it is nothing here compared to all the greenbelts out there. I also look like a circus show pulling a bike trailer with two kids, holding a dog on a leash, and one kid on a bike behind me all on my $50 Walmart bike. Good for you for finding something you enjoy.

kissa em jaxx April 14, 2008 at 12:19 AM  

That's a nice ride. Maybe I should pull out my old mountain bike. Do you remember that bike ride we went on pulling our kids in the bike trailors. That was when we found out we had the same wedding anniversary. Anyway...I was so tired from that small jaunt througth the neighborhood. I say if you like it...don't stop doing. Being over 30 is definately a different ballgame when it comes to exercise. Good Luck. Your bike needs a name. "Stinger" "Flash" "The Big Bee" ...ok not those names, but it needs when.

Kevin Pratt April 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

Good idea, Julie. I will have to think of something awesome, but it's gonna take some time.

megan April 14, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

My big sis is so hot.

p.s. How about "the bullet". Isn't that what Coach Loper called you in high school?

Fancy Nancy Pants May 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Hi Chels.... I had the weirdest dream about you last night. I dreampt you were coming back up here to Utah and looking for a house. We looked at houses together on roller skates and you were so excited about how it's such a buyer's market...
We all went out to dinner with your parents and your Dad sang for us. It was so great seeing your parents and all!

Anyway, weird I know.

I just wanted to say hi while you're so fresh in my mind.