Wednesday, July 16, 2008

"Sure and Steady Wins the Race"



Girl's camp was a huge success this year...though I can't imagine a time when it was a failure. The Lord always blesses these types of events and they always seem to come together in the end. Let me just say that being Stake Camp Director is the most fun calling I have ever had. I love it. I wasn't sure at first, but after going last year, I realized that I want to keep this calling for a long time. It helps that "camp" in our stake is more like "retreat." (We have Stake Camp here, every year). I found a Presbyterian camp where they have an area for large groups (we had 140) and we stay in a motel-ish dorm area complete with a/c which is a must in Houston in the Summer. There are rolling hills and so many trees you can't see beyond your immediate surroundings ( I love that about where we live because then you forget there are no mountains around you).
We had all of our meals cooked for us and cleaned up after us. We had an Olympic size swimming pool, a high ropes course and a huge climbing wall with a zip line. There was a small lake complete with a waterslide, a big blob to jump on and launch others off of and various big blow up toys to climb on in the water. The camp ran these activities for us, so all we needed to do was focus on the spiritual aspects, the certification and various small activities. We did assigned dorm rooms which is a pain until the very end, but is worth it. We used the fable of the Tortoise and the Hare and found so many applications to the gospel (as is referenced in Elder Bednar's Jan. New Era talk). The girls used the fable for skit night and we used the motto "Sure and Steady Wins the Race" throughout the week. We had a race theme going on (you know how competitive I am) all week with acts of kindness and service and the winning team got the chocolate candy "turtles" at the end of the week. The rest of the girls got the candies "hugs" and "kisses." Each team had a turtle that would move along a board indicating points earned each day. It was so fun.
The very best thing about girls camp is seeing the transformation that takes place in each girl in only a few days. Some of them show up a little nervous, maybe even with not a great attitude and by the last night, girls are filled with the spirit and show you their very best sides. It's amazing to look at 140 girls with awe and love and affection.
Basically, girl's camp is like painting for me, only better....I can do something that requires effort but get to see the amazing transformation immediately! That's not something you get with most callings. I got to see the fruits of my labors all week long. The other reason I love "girl's retreat" is because at night, I got to go back to my motel room (dorm) with the other Stake Leaders and while we would work on things for the next day, we would eat chocolate and laugh all night about the "camp babies" we would need to birth when we returned home (with the help of a good colon cleansing). It was like a slumber party for adults and though I was happy to go home, I mourned the end of experiences that only girl's camp can produce. I can't wait until next Summer!

7 comments:

Adventurous Housewife July 16, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

It sounds like you've had an incredible experience! I miss having your energy around. When are you coming to visit?

Fancy Nancy Pants July 17, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

Dang - brings back mems of camp for me. It really is an awsome time and experience for these young girls! I don't have to wonder if you were a great leader I know you were AWSOME. You're the kind of person when doing something - you do it with your whole heart! Great theme too! I love it.
Glad you had a time of your life. I wouldn't have wanted to leave either. Those girls are lucky to have had you there as one of their leaders!!!

Fancy Nancy Pants July 17, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Oh yeah... When I was in girls camp... I slept in tents all week. I'd say you guys are stepping up!
Way to go!

Chelseapratt July 17, 2008 at 3:49 PM  

Yeah, Nancy...don't you remember Liahona? Despite the "roughing it" we had an awesome time there, too.

Stewartville est. 1995 July 17, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

OH LIAHONA....HOW I MISS THEE

Julie July 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

Wow....I love camp too! It sounds like you guys had an awesome retreat. I wish they had something like that here. Maybe they do...I should check into it, that is if I get to stay camp director. You are amazing and it sounds like you have your perfect calling. How did the birthin go? You need a colonic?

youreprettytoo July 21, 2008 at 1:14 AM  

I would have loved to have been there with you. I;m sure it was an awesome girls camp.