Thursday, September 11, 2008

School's out!!!

Have you ever been through a hurricane? I have. When I was 11, I can remember looking out the front window of my home to watch trees fall around my neighborhood. I live in a forest, so there are a lot of them, but I couldn't believe the power behind the winds that would literally snap huge pine trees. I remember the loud sound of one falling through the center of my neighbor's home across the street. It wasn't scary for me because it was immensely entertaining....thrilling, even. Later in that night, there were tornadoes spinning off of the hurricane and a family in our ward had to flee to our home because their home was destroyed by the storm. The parents were lying in bed and the mother woke up with the feeling they needed to get out of their room to check on their children. After doing this, a tree fell literally across their bed! After getting their children out of the house, another tree fell on their family living area. As an adult, I still feel a bit of the adrenaline rush that comes with watching a powerful storm, but I have more to lose now. My kids have taken my place and are eager for the show, but I am a little worried about the power being out for days because it's just way too hot for that. We are located a little North and East of Houston in Kingwood. If the storm turns to the right as they say it might, we could have it a bit worse. Either way, we are on the "dirty" side of the storm and can expect some tornadoes and nasty weather. I will take photos to show the effects in our area. Even an average storm makes a mess when you live in a forest and the streets become littered with branches. We'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Erika September 11, 2008 at 12:07 PM  

Our thoughts are with you. Everytime I hear about a hurricane in your area I always pray for you. I remember hearing about that hurricane when you were 11.

BTW-I love the new blog layout and the frequent posts. Love all the pictures too.

megan September 11, 2008 at 4:00 PM  

I have to admit I am slightly jealous. It's sad but because we grew up there it is more exciting than anything. I am sure if we had ever had any damage done to our own home or anything we might not feel that way. Even when we moved back there as adults I was still disappointed when the tornado warnings were canceled or hurricanes veered away from us. Such silliness. But anyhow - you must keep your promise of pictures. Hurricane Alicia came through at night, didn't it? What time is this one expected to come through?

Kevin Pratt September 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

I think really early Saturday morning. We'll take some video to post(when it's light out of course).

Patria September 14, 2008 at 2:49 AM  

Hurricane season is crazy and awful- all those flooded homes, etc. Hope you guys and loved ones don't have too much damage or stress.

I LOVE your blog header- Megan took such incredible photos of you guys! Such a gorgeous family!

megan October 13, 2008 at 10:02 PM  

We need some updates!

tennessee family December 27, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Hey chelsea will you email me your address. I got your card. Lost all my addresses on a computer crash and didn't see one on your envelope. LOVED your card. TO die for. You won the contest this year. He He. Love liz Rich
call if you want 615-429-8068