Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Oh the First Snowfall of the Winter..."

I love this song by Karen Carpenter...I used to sing it all of the time in Utah whenever the first snowfall came each Fall. I figured it had to be shelved for a while since we live in HOUSTON...but TODAY IT SNOWED!!! It only happens about every 4 or 5 years down here, so my kids were in heaven tonight. It's a night they will never forget. I don't really miss the snow, but I got teary-eyed when I saw how excited they were about it. All the neighbors are outside just staring...I guess it takes hurricanes and snow to get people to hang out outside:)




I figured this was as good as it would get...that I'd better take a photo before it melted!












They managed to get a baby snowman complete with cherry tomato eyes and a mini carrot nose. The snow was so hard and compact that they practically bloodied their fingers trying to bury their vegetables in the snowman.









Sheer joy on the trampoline.












...coming in for a brief break to get warm.















7 comments:

Stewartville est. 1995 December 10, 2008 at 11:42 PM  

well ya,it happened to snow about 4 years ago for like an hour...but before that it was in the early nineties...and then in the 80's before that...so really..having already had it four years ago is in itself...another miracle.


LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!

megan December 11, 2008 at 2:21 PM  

Everyone on facebook that lives down there was going nuts during the snow. It looks fun - now I only hope it snows up here in Utah sometime! Geez - maybe we are the curse that makes it not snow so now that we've left Texas it can and now that we're here it barely is!

Julie December 11, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

We havn't built a snowman yet...completely jealous!

Challburg December 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM  

Wasn't it fun? My girls had a blast. We moved here when Emily was 2 so she has no recollection of snow. She thought it was great. Karli kept putting her tongue out yelling "it noing, it noing"

Kevin Pratt December 12, 2008 at 2:17 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fancy Nancy Pants December 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

snow! In Houston?!
Looks like your kids had a blast. Did you miss living in Utah at all?
Did it bring back wonderful memories, like seeing your most favorite person in the world every so often....... ME

Well, I love looking at the snow. There's nothing prettier, but dealing with it every day in the winter is something else.

Mandy December 22, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

Snow! How did you get so lucky. I didn't think that I would miss it but I really do right now. We got the cold, cold, weather but no snow just ice. They even cancelled school because of the ice. Crazy Texas weather. Just when I thought I was getting use to the extreme weather here, there is always something new.
I loved the snowman! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!