Thursday, February 21, 2008

Angry Diets



O.K., so I have never been on a diet for more than one day in my entire life. The Sunday before last, we had some friends over for dinner and these friends happen to be the most physically beautiful couple we know. After a great Cafe Rio style dinner and bellies full of Barbacoa beef and brownies, they proceeded to tell us about their diet contest they were starting on Monday. Kevin and I are both heavier than we have ever been (excepting pregnancy, of course) so we felt a little silly. After all, these people appear to be the ultimate goal. She is 40, is 5"7 and weighs 132. She has perfect looking body but it is not perfect enough for her standards...she has a couple of tiny rolls on her belly which you would only notice if she was wearing something skin tight or a bikini. He is 6"3 and weighs 214, which happens to be Kevin's weight (kevin is 6"0) Up until we moved to Texas, I was able to maintain my imperfect, but satisfactory weight of 118 (I am only 5"5). After the move, I have put on 8-10lbs.

Now, we could just feel right at home since Houston is one of the fattest cities in the U.S., however, we felt a little ridiculous listening to our friends when we knew full well that we were the ones that needed to do this. We entered an agreement and the contest will last for 4 weeks. There are individual prizes for the greatest percentage of weight lost as well as couple prizes (which ever couple wins has to watch the other couple's kids for a 3 day trip) When I told my sister, she laughed out loud because how could we compete with perfection?

I only bring this up because I was discouraged today after going to lunch with my girlfriends, which includes this perfectly figured 40 year old model (actually she and another friend whose b-day we were there celebrating were models for years). While I ate the chips and salsa and got some tortilla soup, she got the "snapper" and didn't eat anything on the side. She is absolutely stalwart when it comes to eating and has no problem denying herself when she wants to. I am the one who has schemed about all sorts of diets, most notably the "jello diet" my mission trainer and I worked out on full stomachs Sunday night, only to break Monday by lunch. Denying myself makes me angry, but maybe if I did it consistently enough, it would make me happy. I will have to say that I am pretty proud of myself because I have done great for me these past 11 days...I have worked out 6 days a week (not super hard, but still I have been active) and I have denied myself much of the time....this is good since I normally eat what I want, when I want it and however much I feel like eating...even if it makes me sick. Back to the point....today at lunch, or afterward, I felt discouraged. So, I ate about 6 or 8 girl scout cookies this afternoon. I can find all sorts of reasons to quit because I simply cannot compete with any of the other participants (my husband is dropping pounds like I do cookies); however, I really do want the results of a slimmer figure, fitting into my old clothes and feeling better in general.

So, even though I may not win my couch (my individual prize if I win), there is still something to be gained or lost?! I decided to post this on my blog so that I am a little more accountable for these next two weeks. Maybe since you know about it, I will try harder and come out victorious. I have lost a couple of lbs (maybe negated that today) and need to lose 6 more. I was about to show my before picture which is utterly humiliating, but it is slightly immodest since I am in my bra and swimsuit bottoms, so I will refrain. So, if any of you have any tips that don't involve constant exercise and calorie deprivation, bring it on because I am back in the game. I'll do my best to be happy about it!

10 comments:

Fancy Nancy Pants February 24, 2008 at 9:20 PM  

I wish I only had 10 pounds to loose! Good luck with the next couple of weeks!
Either way - you alway look awsome!

Lynds February 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Chels, we are living with my parents until Todd graduates in a month and a half so that we dont have to take out another student loan to get us through. my parents love it:)

Lynds February 24, 2008 at 10:43 PM  

You know, I remember when you and steph lived together that you would put on your bike shorts and roller blade? you could always pull those bad boys out and skate around town

Mandy February 24, 2008 at 11:08 PM  

I wish my imperfect weight was 118
I am proud of you for taking that leap into the dieting game. I don't have the self control to commit to something like that.
I hope that we can see you guys sometime.Sadie just joined a soccer team that travels sometimes so maybe we will make it your way soon. Hope so, we would love to see you guys. I have to agree that Texas puts on the pounds, I have gained my 5-10lb welcome to Texas weight and I have only been here a little over two weeks.

Holladay Photo February 25, 2008 at 5:33 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patria February 25, 2008 at 5:36 AM  

sorry, that was me deleting the previous post, i was signed in under mark and didn't want to freak you out. I know I don't see you much- but you've always looked and do now look really good! You seriously have nothing to worry about in the looks department! The post is hilarious though.

Julie February 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM  

118 my butt weighs 118. I really feel bad for you Chelsea I am sure it sucks to have finally reached my dream weight. LOL. No I am just kidding. Its just funny how we are all in the same boat with the weight stuff.

Kevin Pratt February 26, 2008 at 9:52 AM  

Keep in mind that 118 is a thing of the past...I am hoping to reach it. I seem to be stuck. Anyway, it is good to read your blogs and see that I am not the only one dealing with this. Lynds, I have never rollerbladed, so you must be thinking of someone else. I would love to try it, though! That would probably give me great legs and wouldn't be as boring as jogging. Good idea. Mandy, just wait until you see how turbo soccer is down here...it makes Utah look like the YMCA of soccer...it is super competitive down here!

CherstynandMatt February 26, 2008 at 12:38 PM  

Good job, Chelsea... I love your candor and your ambition. You are stunningly beautiful and look thin to me (but I support you, nonetheless, in this diet... we all know how we want to look/feel, no matter what others say). Miss you! ~Cher

Kevin Pratt February 27, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

Talk about looking good, Cher...you look amazing! You are supposed to get less attractive as you age...you keep getting better and better.